Monday 22 February 2016

Join.Me (Feb 2016) Downloading and Installing the Desktop App



Hello. In this video which is just over 6 minutes long I show you how to download, sign in and install the join.me app for your laptop or desktop.

I have created another video that shows how to download and install the join.me app. Just look for it in my Join.Me playlist.

This video is just over 6 minutes long and includes a full set of subtitles but if you want to read a full transcript instead, please find one below.

Start of video transcript

Hello and welcome to this video.

In this video I want to demonstrate how to download and use join.me to work on your Windows laptop or desktop.

Join.me is a free piece of software that allows your screen to be shared with other people.

Screen sharing has a range of different uses but the one that I want to concentrate on in this series of videos is screen sharing from a desktop pc or laptop with an iPad.

In order to do this, we will need to complete four steps. Firstly, download the free software from the Join.me website onto our desktop or laptop. Secondly, we need to create a free account in order for the software to install properly. Thirdly, we need to download the free join.me app from the AppStore on our iPads and fourthly we need to connect our desktop PC or laptop to our iPad in order to share the screen.

The focus of this video will be about downloading the software on our PC and creating a free account.

I will make other videos to demonstrate how to complete the three steps.

You can download the join.me app on any Windows computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows 8 or Windows 10. Mine is running Windows 10.

So let’s open up a web browser and go to www.join.me. I am using Firefox but you might prefer to use Google Chrome, Internet Explorer or Safari. As long as your browser is up to date, you shouldn’t encounter any problems.

On the join.me page, click on the “start meeting” button.

A download starts that on most broadband connections should only take a few seconds.

Once your download has completed, double click on the file and the join.me app opens up.

You might get a warning from your firewall or another piece of security software so just click on “allow access”.

Now the thing to do next is to close the app by clicking on the cross in the top right hand corner.

This triggers a prompt encouraging you to create an account with join.me. It costs nothing to create an account and it is only by creating an account that the software will install properly on your desktop pc or laptop.

If you don’t create an account every time that you want to use join.me you will need to go the website and download it.

To create an account just type in your email address and a very memorable password. Then click on the orange button “create free account”.

Since I have already created an account I will just log in.

Because I haven’t logged on there is no icon on my desktop as you can see.

After I log on the screen is ready to be shared. This is demonstrated by an orange border around my screen.

When I finish my session, the join.me icon appears on my desktop.

And that is the end of my video demonstrating how to download and install the free screen sharing app from join.me.

Look out for my other videos in this series which will demonstrate how to download the app onto an iPad and how to share a PC’s screen with an iPad.

If you have any questions or difficulties after watching this video, or want to join in with the discussion please do so below.

Do you use Join.me? Do you like it? Or do you use another screen sharing app. Let me know.

Thanks for watching.

End of video transcript


No comments:

Post a Comment