Monday 25 January 2016

NVDA and Gmail: Delete an Email Using Shortcut Keys



Hello and welcome to my video.

In this video I focus on the screen reader NVDA and Gmail.

I demonstrate how to delete an email using shortcut keys.

This 4 minute video contains a full set of subtitles but if you want to read a full transcript of the video you can find it below.

Start of Video Transcript

Hello and welcome to this video.

In this video I will be demonstrating a very simple skill using NVDA.

I will be demonstrating deleting an email in gmail- Google’s email service.

NVDA is a free screen reader.

A screen reader is a great piece of software that gives computers, smartphones and tablets a voice in order to help people who have a visual impairment or who are blind access these devices independently.

I have created other videos about the screen reader NVDA and I have grouped them together in a playlist which I will link to below.

In this video I will be using the web browser Firefox although of course you might want to use Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge or Chrome.

The version of NVDA which I am using is 2015.4.

So let’s start NVDA.

The voice that you can hear is British Daniel. This is a paid for voice that you can get for NVDA and I have created a video to show you how.

And if we open Firefox, I am in one of my Gmail accounts.

I am going to press the g key followed by the i key in order to make sure that I am in my inbox.

To select the email that you want to delete press the up or down arrows.

Once you have found it, press the x key to select the email and then press the # key and the email is deleted.

Now, if it is at this point that you realise that you made a mistake, don’t worry because if you

press the z key that will return the deleted email to your inbox.

If none of these shortcut keys seem to work then NVDA is probable not interacting with the page properly.

So you need to press the NVDA key and the space key down twice- the computer will make a noise like a mouse click.

My NVDA key is the Caps Lock key - yours might be the Insert key.

Hopefully that should solve your problem. If not, let me know in the comments.

And that is it. A quick video on using keyboard shortcut keys to delete an email from your Gmail account using NVDA and Firefox.

If you have any questions or want to join in with the discussion please do so below.

Have you got a favourite shortcut when you are using Gmail? Tell me what it is.

Thanks for watching.


End of video transcript

No comments:

Post a Comment