Monday 25 January 2016

NVDA & Gmail- Compose an Email Using Shortcuts


Hello and welcome to this video.

This video is about the screenreader NVDA and how to use it in Gmail.

In this 4 minute video I show you how to compose an email using keyboard shortcuts.

The video includes a full set of subtitles but if you want to read a transcript please find one below.

Start of video transcript

Hello and welcome to this video.

In this video I will be demonstrating a very simple skill using NVDA.

I will be demonstrating composing an email in gmail- Google’s email service.

NVDA is a free screen reader.

A screen reader is a great piece of software that gives computers, smartphones and tablets a voice in order to help people who have a visual impairment or who are blind access these devices independently.

I have created other videos about the screen reader NVDA and I have grouped them together in a playlist which I will link to below.

In this video I will be using the web browser Firefox although of course you might want to use Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge or Chrome.

The version of NVDA which I am using is 2015.4.

So let’s start NVDA.

The voice that you can hear is British Daniel. This is a paid for voice that you can get for NVDA and I have created a video to show you how.

And if we open Firefox, I am in one of my Gmail accounts.

I am going to press the g key followed by the i key in order to make sure that I am in my inbox.

Now I press the C key in order to compose a message.

I am now in the address box and so I type in an address. I will write an email to myself.

I press the tab key and I am in the subject line and I will have YouTube video as my subject.

If I press the Tab key once more I am in the main body of the email and so I will just write a few lines.

Once I have finished, I now press the control key and the enter key to send it.

And that is it. A quick video on using keyboard shortcut keys to compose and send an email from your Gmail account using NVDA and Firefox.

If you have any questions or want to join in with the discussion please do so below.

Have you got a favourite shortcut when you are using Gmail? Tell me what it is.

Thanks for watching.

End of video transcript




1 comment:

  1. you say - I am going to press the g key followed by the i key in order to make sure that I am in my inbox. - pressing 'g' and 'i' don't work like that for me, what am I not doing?

    ReplyDelete